Details about this program are available at http://www.shandakenprojects.org/14x48/faq.
Please consider these key points for proposals to Shandaken: 14x48 as you apply—
- Of specific interest for this program are proposals that connect to the expansive possibilities of mass media’s creative potential.
- Billboards will be located within the five boroughs of New York City. More detailed location information is not available until shortly before printing. Ideal proposals will not rely on specific locations.
- Many billboards available to artists are 14 by 48 feet, however sizes and aspect ratios cannot be confirmed until production begins. Ideal proposals will be flexible in this regard.
- Proposed billboards must be able to be printed from a digital image file onto vinyl using typical printing technologies. Minimum file specs vary with billboard size, but are generally 1/2" to 1' scale, at 300 dpi—in other words, a 14-by-48-foot billboard requires an image at least 7 by 24 inches at 300 dpi.
- Shandaken Projects will pay for the cost of printing and installing each billboard. The cost of producing the artwork selected for the billboard must be satisfied from within the $1,000 honorarium awarded for the project, and artists must reserve a significant portion of that amount to pay themselves. Costs for producing ancillary elements may be satisfied by Shandaken.
- Artists are offered one billboard total, however ancillary elements of proposed projects, like public programs, websites, etc, are welcome.